Thursday, July 10, 2003

If the Shoe Fits, Eat It!


"I really want you to notice, Tucker, that this is a wingtip. It's a right-wing wingtip," Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said to "Crossfire" host Tucker Carlson. (Claire Duggan - CNN)

• In CNN's crusade to squeeze all the ink it can out of "Crossfire" host Tucker Carlson's vow to eat his shoes if Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) sells a million copies of her memoirs, the network devoted much of yesterday's show to Simon & Schuster's announcement that this milestone had indeed been reached.

The author of "Living History" herself showed up as a "surprise guest" to present an allegedly shocked Carlson with a shoe-shaped cake.

"I really want you to notice, Tucker, that this is a wingtip. It's a right-wing wingtip," Clinton said to laughter from the studio audience. "And I was a little worried about, you know, how you were actually going to be able to eat and digest a shoe. I didn't even know what kind you were going to choose. So I had a friend of mine . . . do this for you because I figured you've had enough embarrassment and humiliation over this episode."

"Yes, I have," a sheepish Carlson replied. "Thank you. . . . You are awfully gracious. I appreciate that, senator."

Afterward, Carlson acknowledged to us that he won't get away with eating a cake shoe. He's going to chew and swallow a real shoe -- probably a loafer.

"I'm screwed," he explained.

No comments:

Search This Blog